Monday, January 01, 2007

Help Us Solve the Mystery!!

Can anyone tell what this picture is of?? Look closely and you will see that it is a car window with a reflection of me taking a picture of Kip who is in the driver's seat of the car...
What the heck? You might be wondering why I am doing such a weird thing. Well, my dear friends and family, I am attempting to recreate the crazy thing that we saw upon arriving at home last night around 12:30am (after watching the New Year's ball drop at a friend's house).
I shall explain.

OK, so we just got this nice, new fence and we park our cars on the outside of it. Kip stays on the inside and has not even tried to get out.


Last night we left around 7pm to have dinner and bring in the New Year with some friends. We left Kip in the back yard as usual and I even gave him his favorite ball stuffed with a treat to keep him busy while we were gone.

We returned after midnight. We were in my car and we pulled into the driveway and parked next to Jonathan's car like always. I got out of the car and just happened to glance over at Jonathan's car. And I did a double take, b/c to my utter astonishment I saw Kip sitting in the driver's side seat of Jonathan's car! I thought I might be hallucinating or something since I was pretty tired... But, no, Kip was actually sitting there - totally calm and happy like nothing was weird about it. But it was really weird and also a tiny bit creepy. The question is: How in the world did he get out of the fence and into Jonathan's car?? And also - WHY!! We know he is weird, but still... One thing to note here is that Jonathan had left the passenger window of his car all the way down. Kip loves to ride in the car but we have never seen him attempt to jump in through the window!


Other things to consider include the facts that:
1.) There were fireworks going off in the neighborhood, and Kip has been known to be afraid of thunder but has never done anything wild or destructive b/c of it. He just hides.
2.) He is a very unfriendly type of dog when it comes to strangers, so he would have been barking, growling and probably running away from anyone who tried to come up to him.
3.) There were no holes under the fence or any other evidence of him getting out on his own - the gate was locked.
4.) The ball I had given him, stuffed with a treat, still had the treat inside. He usually gets it out in like 10 minutes or less.

So, there are all the facts. We are really mystified and think it is very strange. I hate that we may never know what happened! Jonathan thinks an angel transported him.

I asked Kip, but he's not telling.
Any theories??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kip, feeling that he was being left out of the fun, decided to take the car and do some serious partying on New Year's Eve. Unfortunately he just barely made it back before you. He didn't even have time to get out of the car. He was counting on your being very tired and bleary eyed and maybe not even seeing him. As you did spot him possibly you would just remember the incident vaguely as some strange thing that happened that night. He was also hoping that he could play it off that the fireworks had frightened him and caused him to act crazily. You see, this works when there is a thunderstorm and he wants to be in the house! Unfortunately for him you pressed him when you pursued finding and answer to these strange events. So he had to pretend to try and jump the fence. Yes, Kip nearly let the secrets of the dog kingdom out in his eargerness to do some partying and socializing. You mind have actually had evidence that he could open gates and even worse drive! My advice is to pretend you have forgetten these happenings and keep a close watch on Kip's future activities. Enjoy!

Anne said...

HA HA! Yes, we had been suspecting something of this nature...

ted&sharon etc. said...

Having just read The Innocent Man I wouldn't want to make any wild unsubstantiated accusations but one theory is that Kip saw a car thief trying to make off with the car and promptly ran him (or her) off and then jumped into the car to protect the family assets. I'm not sure about Holly's theory but you might check the odometer just to be sure from now on.

Laura said...

Anne - this story is HA larious, as Mimi would say. I like the thought of Kip taking off on his own for a little celebrating - but you should check the seats for any other types of dog hair - he perhaps partied with a little lady friend...?